Monday, July 17, 2006

I’ve been spending more time in meetings these days than I ever had hoped to. It seems that some people enjoy meeting for meeting sake and really aren't concerned about doing anything productive.

One important factor when preparing for a meeting – is to have everyone in that meeting agree to the terms of the meeting. This makes the meeting more productive and efficient. Without that agreement, the meeting may seem productive and yet the desired actions do not occur or the out come of the meeting amounts to nothing.
This is especially important when you meet with God in prayer. If we want our prayers to be effective we must agree to terms. Since confession means ‘agreeing with God’ this is where all our meetings with Him should start.
What exactly is it that you should agree on when you prepare for your intercessory meeting with God? I’ve come to the conclusion that it is absolutely imperative that we agree on three things before beginning a productive intercessory prayer time. What are those two things?
We need to agree on who we are and to whom we are praying.

I’ve created a little list of verses where you can begin a study on your own on confession. I challenge each of you to:
1. Begin your prayer time this way
2. Dig into scripture and begin an in-depth time of confession with your Lord and Savior.
I think that you will find it more than worthwhile.

We need to agree with God as to who HE is:

Matthew 10:32 "Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven.
Luke 12:8 "And I say to you, everyone who confesses Me before men, the Son of Man will confess him also before the angels of God;
Romans 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
Romans 10:10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.
Philippians 2:11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father
1 Timothy 3:16 By common confession, great is the mystery of godliness: He who was revealed in the flesh, Was vindicated in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Proclaimed among the nations,
Believed on in the world, Taken up in glory.
Hebrews 10:23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful;
1 John 4:15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.
Isaiah 26:13 O LORD our God, other masters besides You have ruled us;
But through You alone we confess Your name.
Daniel 9:4 I prayed to the LORD my God and confessed and said, "Alas, O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant and lovingkindness for those who love Him and keep His commandments,


We need to agree with God as to who we are:

James 5:16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Revelation 3:5
'He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
Numbers 5:7 then he shall confess his sins which he has committed, and he shall make restitution in full for his wrong and add to it one-fifth of it, and give it to him whom he has wronged.
Psalms 32:5 I acknowledged my sin to You,
And my iniquity I did not hide;
I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD";
And You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah.
Psalms 38:18
For I confess my iniquity;
I am full of anxiety because of my sin.
Proverbs 28:13 He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper, But he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion.
Daniel 9:20
Now while I was speaking and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God in behalf of the holy mountain of my God,
1 Kings 8:35
"When the heavens are shut up and there is no rain, because they have sinned against You, and they pray toward this place and confess Your name and turn from their sin when You afflict them,
2 Chronicles 6:24 "If Your people Israel are defeated before an enemy because they have sinned against You, and they return to You and confess Your name, and pray and make supplication before You in this house,
2 Chronicles 6:26 "When the heavens are shut up and there is no rain because they have sinned against You, and they pray toward this place and confess Your name, and turn from their sin when You afflict them;
Ezra 10:1 Now while Ezra was praying and making confession, weeping and prostrating himself before the house of God, a very large assembly, men, women and children, gathered to him from Israel; for the people wept bitterly.
Ezra 10:11 "Now therefore, make confession to the LORD God of your fathers and do His will; and separate yourselves from the peoples of the land and from the foreign wives.”

We need to agree with God on a plan of action;
Jeremiah 26:3. `Perhaps they will listen and everyone will turn from his evil way, that I may repent of the calamity which I am planning to do to them because of the evil of their deeds.'

Ezekiel 14:6 "Therefore say to the house of Israel, `Thus says the Lord GOD, "Repent and turn away from your idols and turn your faces away from all your abominations.

Ezekiel 18:30,32 "Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, each according to his conduct," declares the Lord GOD. "Repent and turn away from all your transgressions, so that iniquity may not become a stumbling block to you.
"For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies," declares the Lord GOD. "Therefore, repent and live."

Matthew 3:2 "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

Acts of the Apostles 2:38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Revelation 3:3 `So remember what you have received and heard; and keep it, and repent. Therefore if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come to you.
Revelation3:19. `Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.

Once we agree with God, confess and repent we are ready to begin the meeting in prayer called the “intercessory prayer”.

1 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Davis said...

I remember my days of working at the rescue mission. I had an "appointment" with God every morning at 6:30 until 8:00. I would do my Bible reading (7 times a year through the book)and then I would spend an hour praying. I confess that while on my knees all too often I would fall asleep. But I am left with the knowledge somehow that God loves us as much when we fail (David) as when we succeed. Truly He is great!
Dad

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home